A dental implant is a small prosthetic post that is placed into the bone of the upper or lower jaw. The post functions as the root portion of the lost natural tooth and serves as an anchor for replacement tooth. With the settlement of the post, an artificial tooth is attached to fill the space for the missing tooth.
Dental implant procedure that St. Lawrence Dentistry offers has a significant positive effect on one’s confidence. Because they look and feel almost naturally, just like the original tooth, it’s difficult for someone to tell whether it’s natural or an implant. Hence, the self-image is boosted, the ability to eat is comfortably improved and it accounts for the person’s quality life. While having dentures is another option, it only gives 20% chewing capacity in contrast to implants which give 90%.
Benefits of Dental Implant
There are many different types of procedures offered by dental implant Mississauga clinics in Ontario Canada. The benefits dental implants give are the main reason why people opt for this procedure.
- A dental implant will help avoid bone loss and maintain the proper spacing of the teeth. A missing tooth that is not replaced with an implant or a denture tends to cause other maladies in the mouth. An implant will take the place of the missing tooth, fill the space vacated by the missing tooth in order to prevent the other adjacent tooth from moving. Such movement of the tooth can cause gaps and may cause the tooth to decay fast.
- It can provide the support to a full denture. This will secure the denture tightly and will allow eating and speaking comfortably and with confidence.
- A dental implant is a better alternative to ill-fitting dentures which can wobble, slide and slip around the mouth causing discomfort to the person.
- It can restore full chewing capacity and efficiency. Eating most foods will not be painful or uncomfortable.
- It can lift the person’s confidence and not cause embarrassment of a missing tooth or ill-fitting dentures.
- It is not subject to cavities or temperature sensitivity.
- It eliminates the need to compromise or modify the adjacent tooth or teeth. Most fixed bridge requires slight removal or modification of tooth structure.
Who Can Have A Dental Implant?
Any individual, regardless of age and gender, as long as they have sufficient bone remaining to accept the implant is a candidate for a dental implant. If a person is healthy enough to have a tooth extracted, having a dental implant that dental specialists provide should not cause any health restriction for the implant. If there are health restrictions, the dentist will discuss the options available in lieu of a dental implant, where it is not possible.