Hello, dear patients of St. Lawrence Dentistry! We hope this blog finds you in good health.
Today, we’re excited to discuss one of our most popular dental solutions: zirconia crowns. So, grab a cozy spot, and let’s dive into the world of this remarkable dental material.
What Is Zirconia in Dental Crowns?
Zirconia is a high-quality ceramic material that has revolutionized restorative dentistry. In dental crowns, it is a compound primarily derived from natural “zirconium”, found in various minerals, and abundant in the Earth’s crust. This remarkable element is known for its exceptional durability and biocompatibility.
How Does It Differ from Zirconia in Engagement Rings?
You might be familiar with Zirconia as a brilliant gemstone substitute in engagement rings. However, the Zirconia used in dental crowns is a different animal altogether. While both types share the same base material, dental Zirconia undergoes specialized processing to ensure its biocompatibility and strength to withstand the daily rigors of chewing and grinding.
Why Is Zirconia a Top Dental Material?
Zirconia crowns have gained immense popularity for several reasons:
- Strength and Durability: Zirconia is solid, making it suitable for molars and teeth that endure heavy chewing. Compared to other materials, it’s less prone to chipping and cracking.
- Biocompatibility: Zirconia is hypoallergenic and compatible with your body tissues, reducing the risk of allergic reactions.
- Aesthetics: Zirconia crowns are highly translucent, mimicking the natural appearance of teeth. They blend seamlessly with your smile.
- Precision: Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology ensures precise, custom-fit crowns that require minimal adjustments.
How Are Zirconia Crowns Made?
Creating zirconia crowns involves a meticulous process that begins with taking digital impressions of your teeth to enable precise measurements. Next, the skilled technicians we partner with utilize CAD/CAM technology to mill the zirconia material. Subsequently, we polish and color-match it to your natural teeth, ensuring a beautiful finish. Finally, we cement the crown onto your prepared tooth, delivering a solid and long-lasting restoration.
Zirconia vs. E-Max and PFM Crowns
Zirconia crowns have their distinct advantages over other common crown materials like E-Max (all-ceramic) and PFM (Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal):
- Strength: Zirconia is stronger than E-Max and offers better resistance to wear and tear.
- Aesthetics: Zirconia crowns look more natural than PFM crowns, which may develop a dark metal line at the gumline over time.
- Biocompatibility: Zirconia is hypoallergenic, unlike some metal alloys used in PFM crowns.
At St. Lawrence Dentistry, we believe in providing our patients with the best possible dental solutions, and zirconia crowns align perfectly with our commitment to excellence. Located in the picturesque Port Credit district of Mississauga, near the serene shores of Lake Ontario, we invite you to experience the beauty of modern dentistry in a tranquil setting.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this informative journey into the world of zirconia crowns. If you have any questions or want to learn more, please get in touch with our friendly team. Your smile is our top priority; we’re here to make it shine brightly!
Until next time, keep smiling and stay healthy!
The St. Lawrence Dentistry Team
- Ceramic Onlays: A Fusion of Art and Dentistry for a Radiant Smile - January 24, 2024
- Dental Flossing Benefits and Techniques - January 19, 2024
- Types of Gingivitis - January 12, 2024