If you have minor dental imperfections, slightly overlapping or irregularly shaped teeth, or excessively pointed cuspid teeth, you may want to visit St. Lawrence Dentistry for tooth reshaping.
This cosmetic dental procedure deals with subtle changes to the teeth that could make a big difference in a person’s overall appearance and self-confidence.
Tooth reshaping removes a small amount of tooth enamel – the outer covering of a tooth to modify the shape, length, or surface of one or more imperfect teeth. Even the slightest reshaping or the smallest enamel reduction in the right places can improve teeth’ appearance. Dr. Hawryluk often performs tooth reshaping alongside bonding – a cosmetic dental procedure that uses tooth-colored composite material to sculpt and shape the teeth.
Dr. Hawryluk uses diamond instruments and discs for tooth reshaping. Sometimes we must take X-rays before the procedure to ensure the teeth are healthy. Dr. Hawryluk will then highlight the teeth that need sculpting. Next, we will gently rejuvenate imperfections on the enamel surface. Next, contouring the sides of the teeth is taken care of using sand-paper-like strips. The final step will be smoothing and polishing the sculpted teeth.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tooth Reshaping
While tooth reshaping is a more conservative way of modifying the appearance of your tooth, Dr. Hawryluk weighs the advantages and disadvantages of the procedure to determine if tooth reshaping is the suitable solution to your imperfect tooth.
- Tooth reshaping only involves working on the tooth’s surface enamel, so it’s practically painless and causes no discomfort during the procedure. It does not require anesthesia.
- Sometimes Improves Health of Teeth. When we remove minor overlaps or other imperfections, tartar accumulated in those areas will also be removed, thus lowering the risk of decay and gum disease.
- It may Eliminate the Need for Braces. For some patients, tooth reshaping and dental contouring may substitute braces since the procedure can make the teeth look straighter and eliminate minor overlapping.
- Slight Tooth Appearance Change. Tooth reshaping, unlike other cosmetic dental procedures, sometimes does not dramatically change your smile. The difference will be subtle. Veneers will be a better option if you want a completely new look. Tooth reshaping and dental contouring only eliminate minor imperfections. It will, however, improve the appearance of your teeth from a mild imperfect state to a better-shaped and contoured tooth.
- Irreversible procedure. The enamel contoured off the tooth surface is gone forever and cannot be regrown. Dr. Hawryluk will ensure this procedure is in your best interest if you are considering it.
- Only suitable for some. We cannot address all dental imperfections can by tooth reshaping. This cosmetic dental procedure suits people who require minor adjustments or modifications on their teeth with imperfections. The treatment, however, is not advised for people who want to address decaying tooth root canals or unhealthy gums.
Tooth reshaping can be the first step towards more extensive cosmetic dentistry, such as veneers and tooth whitening. However, tooth reshaping and contouring could be your ticket to a better smile and improved tooth appearance sans the high costs of other procedures. Visit our Mississauga dental clinic to see if this treatment would benefit you!
- Understanding Periodontal Pockets: Insights from St. Lawrence Dentistry - October 17, 2023
- The Lymphatic System and Dentistry: A Vital Interconnection - October 11, 2023
- Tonsil Stones Decoded: Navigating Your Oral Health - September 26, 2023